Thursday, December 15, 2011

Class Discussion: The Future


Class Discussion: The Future

             This week in class we talked a lot about the future and what it holds for all of us. Usually when we think about the future we visualize the Jetsons or the 5th Element. We’ll be using flying cars and jetpacks to get around, wearing space clothes and robots will be at our beck and call. But in reality some of these things aren’t as far off as you think. Fashion wise we will never know what the new fad will be. Usually older fashion fads become cool again, so I don’t see tight spandex space clothes to be in the near future. But as far as robots, I think as little as 20 years many people will have robots in their house.
           The thought of robots with AI scares me a lot. When ever I think of a smart robot I think of I Robot. I know that it is really silly that I think to a movie but I really feel that something like that could happen. If not the robots going hostile, another country overriding them and turning them against use. People don’t realize the more technology advances I feel the more vulnerable we become. If you are careless and forget to log out of any internet site requires a log in could ruin the rest of your life. The thought of that scares me. Many people think Jetpacks are far off in the future but with 10,000 dollar and the right materials you can create your own jetpack! Think about it your own jetpack I thought jetpacks were at least 10 or so years off but today right now if I magically got 10,000 to get the materials I could fly off to class everyday. 
        But I feel that we only talk about how great the future is going to be. Everything will be faster, smaller and better. Cell phones will finger size or not even has a physical form. Me personally I’m not ready for these changes. I am upset about all the next generation video game talk going on. I just got my PS3 last year I’m not ready for it to be irrelevant in another few years. As much as I want to slow down the flow of time I can’t, no one can. We all just have to face facts that technology is advancing at an alarming rate and is showing no signs of slowing down any time soon.
           I think it is amazing that some people can get around without a cell phone nowadays. I mean how do you call people I haven’t seen a payphone in years. I know you can have a landline but that’s not mobile. And if you do have a phone it should be a smart phone. We live in an age where it’s tough to be a technophobe. In addition to people not having a cell phone some don’t even have a computer some people might have a computer but they either use it very little or none at all. How do these people eve function. I wonder how they are going to deal with all the upcoming new technology advancements. I’m over here dreading robots with AI and some people are dreading the Iphone5.  Speaking of AI the AI in video games as increased dramatically over the years. It is almost like the game knows what you’re going to do before you even do it. It’s constantly challenging you to think outside the box come up with different solutions to gain the desired result.
My final thoughts are that I’m not ready. I’m glad that my DNA can still out run even the fastest of supercomputers. God knew what he was doing and it scares me to think that a machine is almost catching up. But when the future comes I’ll embrace it but I’ll always be on my toes. I hope T Mobile will stop being so stubborn in the near future and the Iphone will come out for us suffering T-mobile users. That will be an ideal future for me!!
           Rob if you want to make a jetpack and you have 10,000 to blow follow this link

No comments:

Post a Comment